Airframe drilling & fastening — automated.
Create your most productive line ever with our patented visual guidance technology, Lucana Aero. The industry’s first system to enable the automation of drilling and fastening, Lucana Aero helps you reduce human error, improve workplace safety and increase speed while being easily integrated with no engineering needed.
What you get:
- Visual Guidance Software
- Industrial Computer
- Two Lasers as a Triangulation Sensor
How It Works
Using a sensor mounted inside a drill head, Lucana Aero guides robotic systems to precisely normalize to a surface, find a hole center, find a fastener center, or measure a hole ID (inside diameter) and countersink OD (outside diameter). The sensor can also aid robotic performance for global alignment to the airframe.
The Right Model for Your Drill Head
We offer models custom-fit to the drill head manufacturing equipment used by our customers.
Features & Benefits
- On-the-spot measurement (minimizes robotic motion errors)
- No calibration
- Sensor module ships already calibrated
- Integrated software tools for robot/sensor/drillbit frame alignment
- Works regardless of surface contours – solid surface or surface with holes
- Normality (Rx, Ry, Rz)
- Hole center (X, Y, Z, Rx, Ry)
- Fastener centerline (X, Y, Z, Rx, Ry)
- Countersink (X, Y, Z, Rx, Ry, OD at the surface)
- Countersink DZ (DeltaZ on curved surface)
Compatible Materials CFRP
- CRRP painted
- Aluminum white
- Aluminum green
- Automatic (Software auto selects the correct material)
What is Lucana Aero?
Engineered for aerospace applications
Designed and built specifically to enable robotic drilling and countersinking in aerospace and air-frame applications.
Precise measurements, every time
All following regardless to surface, blank, hole, countersink or fastener.
Day One ready
- Proven solution that works out of the box — just plug and play.
No vision expertise required
- Free your best engineers’ time up for use on other tasks!
Compact, small form factor
- Fits inside of a drill head (Zagar drillhead or a custom solution within specification).
Point of ingress measurement and guidance
- Measures the area where the drill bit will penetrate.
- Minimizes robotic motion error.
How We Differ
Full X, Y, Z, Rx, Ry, and OD
- Our system takes into account any off-axis misalignment in your process, allowing us to fix your drilling in Rx and Ry, and eliminate typical drilling process inaccuracies.
No calibration required
- Lucana Aero sensors are calibrated on site in the factory and require no calibration to be done at your plant.
No programming required
- No need to spend time tinkering with vision algorithms.
- Update your process with our Lucana Aero sensor and see for yourself that we have the most accurate measurement solution on the market.
- 0.0005 degrees of accuracy.
- 0.02 degrees of accuracy.
Lucana Aero software features the most robust normality measurement algorithms in industry that allow measuring normality on any surface, whether a solid surface or a surface with a hole or countersink. Additionally, Lucana Aero software uses cutting-edge algorithms for outliers removal, leading to robust and stable outputs across all families of measurements.
What’s In The Box?
- Sensor Lucana
- Vision Controller
Sample Technical Datasheet